Monday, October 4, 2010

Self Promotion

Source

I just stumbled upon this post over at Hipstercrite about self promotion and blogging.

Gah! Self promotion has always been somewhat of a nightmare for me. I'm actually really a shy person so the idea of self promotion- even for my shop- gives me the shivers (even though I am aware that it is fully necessary). I'm not the kind of person who is going to comment on a blog post just to link back to my blog. If I don't have anything authentic to say I'd rather not comment at all. I fear that posting each new blog post of facebook makes people cringe! I don't generally promote myself or my business in daily conversations (maybe I should be?).

What are your thoughts on promoting your self, your blog, or your shop? What has worked for you? What has proven unsuccessful?

***Also- Check back later this afternoon for a GIVEAWAY!***

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. I don't comment on blogs so that people will then go to my blog. I do it because I have an opinion or want to be friendly. Unfortunately, it seems like you have to self-promote in order to have a successful Etsy shop. There are so many sellers who have a lot more experience and exposure. Those of us who are just starting out have to be creative in how we attract people to our shop or blog. I like the idea of having my button on someone else's blog. Its not too "Look at me!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I think its a really hard balance- cause like you said you MUST do it- but I really think that there is a level of transparency online. I think folks can really tell when you are being authentic vs. trying to sell something. That's why I looove bloggers like James of Bluebird Vintage or Danielle of Sometimes Sweet and think that's why they have such a following- you can tell they are sincere and authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna have to check out those two blogs.

    I try to be authentic in everything I do. I kind of let my adoration for a certain crafty goddess influence things I was making. I had to tell myself "When its stuff for around my house, and my personal use, that may be alright. But if I were to try to sell or profit off something that I felt had totally ripped off another artist, that's NOT okay." There's a woman on flickr who I feel is totally ripping off someone else, and it makes me so mad. I don't ever want anyone to feel that way about me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Self-promotion is so hard! I've had the best luck with friends telling other friends about my blog, shop, and knitted goods. You know those positive reviews are sincere.
    I find that it's a bit easier to promote things like Etsy shop updates through a facebook page or blog post with a simple link, because then people can choose to click through or not.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm happy you are here and can't wait to get to know you. I very much appreciate every comment and try to reply back to each one so check back often. OH! And link to your blog so I can follow :)